15 years of the IA Summit
The Path Ahead
In our 15th year, we come together to reflect upon current challenges and opportunities, as well the rich history of this annual gathering and the conversations it has begun. This extended theme is intended as a resource for those crafting proposals and content for the Summit.
It’s a great time for information architecture. Businesses and startups are embracing user experience design. People are being put at the center of design processes. We’re getting strategic about content, and spreading awareness that there’s only one internet behind all these new devices.
How do we make the most of this moment? A moment of opportunity for new designers? Of profound influence for the leaders of our respective disciplines? Of rapid, evolutionary change for all who interact with technology and the web?
Fifteen years ago, at the first iteration of what would become the IA Summit, a group came together around the theme of “Defining Information Architecture”. And they succeeded — not in defining it, necessarily, but in starting a conversation that has continued ever since.
The Information Architecture Summit is a place where journeys begin. We invite you to share yours, and the lessons you’ve learned along the way.
Let’s look forward, together, at the path ahead.
Need more inspiration?
We’d love to hear your answer to questions like these:
- How do people not at the forefront of technology interact with it?
- How has collaboration changed the way your team works, whether co-located or virtual?
- How are we teaching the next generation of information architecture professionals — and is it working?
- What is it like to lead, manage, or be part of a team of information architects?
- What tools are helping you succeed?
- What lessons can you share from your work? Have you overcome any big challenges? Learned lessons from your failures?
Where we’ve been
Fifteen years of the IA Summit in one handy list.
- 2000: Defining Information Architecture
- 2001: Practicing Information Architecture
- 2002: Refining Our Craft
- 2003: Making Connections
- 2004: Breaking New Ground
- 2005: Crossing Boundaries
- 2006: Learning, Doing, Selling
- 2007: Enriching IA
- 2008: Experiencing Information
- 2009: Expanding Our Horizons
- 2010: This One Goes to Eleven
- 2011: Asking Better Questions
- 2012: Experience Across Channels
- 2013: Observe, Build, Share, Repeat
- 2014: The Path Ahead